Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Omnivore's Dilemma Questions


Melanie Leyva
English 114B
April 9, 2013

1.         After reading this chapter what stood out to me was how he compared the way Americans eat versus other cultures(the French).  The way Pollan describes the difference is that we eat basically anything throughout the day or basically whenever to satisfy our taste buds.  As long as we are told by food experts in some manner (television, internet, magazine, etc.) we listen to what they say.  We are easily manipulated by marketers on various ways to eat and loose weight.  Even though it can change the way we eat entirely and may be unhealthy.  There is a wide variety of options we have to choose from.  We can become vegans, vegitarians, carnivores, or someone who will only consume dietary products.  While the French do not really snack during the day so they can eat as a family all together.  So from my understanding the French can eat as many carbs and fats since it is not all day. With that being said I think it is okay to say they maintain a healthy eating regimen.

2.         I cannot say that my feelings about the way I eat changed.  Since I never really bothered to think about the way stores and fast food restuarants get their products.  But this chapter really got me thinking if I would be able to eat meat after I see the way cows or chickens are killed.  Honestly I do not think I would be able to do it myself.  But I would want the chance to be able to see the animals being killed like Salatin allows his customers to.  I think it is more humane the way Salatin kills the animals they having them killed by machines at a slaughter house.  Just for the fact that if a person is doing the killing I feel there would be less room for a mistake.  For the machines doing the killing they cannot see whether the animal has died instantly or not.  Nevertheless I still have mixed feelings about the whole killing process.  Until I have an opportunity to experience both ways first hand I do not know how I would react.  I might be the person it does not really bother , maybe the person that will eat me less or on the other hand stop eating meat entirely.

3.         I agree that in this country we don’t really care whether the animal suffers or not.  As long as the end result is we get the animals meat and are able to eat and distribute it.  We are more focused on the profit rather than the procedure.  I think that if people saw how animals were being slaughtered there would be a decline in the demand for meat.  But everyone will react differently.  Like I said before they may stop eating meat, cut back or continue eating it like they have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment